Here is an Easter surprise that everyone is sure to love and be very impressed with! If you have the patience and the time, try making these Easter Cake Eggs.
Cake Filled Eggshells:
You’ll need: Eggshells, Cake Batter (from homemade or mix), mini muffin tins, an icepick or other sharp pointy object.
Prep your Eggshells
- Using an icepick, carefully make a hole in the top of each egg shell, then enlarge the hole to about a 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Pour out the insides and reserve for your cake batter, and/or other uses. Use a toothpick to mix the egg up a bit in the shell, then pour out.
- Wash your egg shells.
Fill and Bake:
- Place your eggs in a mini muffin tin, with the hole pointing up.
- Pipe cake batter into each shell, filling about 2/3-3/4 to the top.
- Put your cake batter in a piping bag or a plastic baggie with a corner cut off, and pipe batter into egg shells, filling about 2/3 of the way up.
- Use your cake recipe/mix as a guide to determine baking temp and time. It will take about as long as cupcakes would. Use the toothpick test to determine doneness.
- Remove any excess cake that has overflowed the shell.
- If desired, paint on additional easter decoration on the shell with food coloring .
- Serve in an egg cup or a clean egg carton. If you wish to add icing or whipped cream, peel off some of the shell to expose the cake, and top with your toppings.
- You could also just top the egg with an edible flower, and let the cake be a bit of a surprise!
Recipe from Foodwhirl