Use lemons and limes that you already have at your house to make these citrus fruit votives.
• Assortment of fruits: oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits
• 1 bag of shredded candle wax
• Grapefruit spoon or small sharp knife
• Paper towels
• Muffin tray
• A few drops of citrus oil extract (found at craft stores),
1. Cut the fruits in half (lemons and limes lengthwise; oranges and grapefruits widthwise).
2. Use a grapefruit spoon or small sharp knife to hollow out the skins. Dry the insides of the skins with paper towels. Place the skins in a muffin tray.
3. Cut wicks to approximate lengths. Make a small slit in the bottom of the each fruit half and stick one end of wick into the membrane so that it stands on its own.
4. In a medium pot, add citrus oil extract (optional) and melt the shredded wax on high heat until it becomes a clear liquid. Pour wax slowly into the fruit halves, holding the wick upright with your free hand until the wax starts to harden.
5. Let the wax cool. Trim the wick to desired height (wicks should never be more than 1/2″ above wax). Store the fruit votives in the freezer until you are ready to use them.
courtesy: food tv